Large corporations have many critical decisions in running a successful business. A number of these decisions can be detrimental to people and the planet. By focusing solely on the financial bottom line, the workers, suppliers and environment pay the biggest price. Global sustainable awareness is growing. Companies all over the planet are renewing their commitment to the environment and the people working for them. As consumers, the more we support companies prioritizing the Triple Bottom Line, the less impact we have on our planet.
Triple Bottom Line:
The Triple Bottom Line model came about in the mid 90s. John Elkington created a method that not only focused on profits, but also incorporated people and the planet. The Triple Bottom Line is an accounting framework that incorporates three dimensions of performance: profits, planet, and people. The Triple Bottom Line has grown to be an important tool to support sustainability goals. By supporting companies that operate within the triple bottom line, you are directly voting with your dollar to demand standards for ethical, socially responsible, and environmentally responsible business.
People Before Profit Benefits:
- Workers all along the supply chain receive fair living wages and healthier work environments.
- By investing into workers, companies can invest in their own future by aligning employees with career advancement.
- Sustainable processes are used for reduction in our natural resource depletion.
- Allows food companies to explore financial models that support more sustainable farming practices, valuing organic, biodiverse methods.
- Companies give back to the communities that serve them.
- Our government officials can use sustainability assessments to decide which actions they should or should not take to make society more sustainable.
- Businesses that are exemplifying sustainable methods create change in our policies and environmental standards.
- Reduces air, water and land pollution.
- Rebuilds the culture behind business to one of unity supporting families, the community, and the planet.
How can I make an impact:
Action 1: Global Goodness
- Vote with your dollar. Every dollar you spend, supports the business model of the business you are purchasing from. Look at the business models of the companies you support so you can make an educated decision in supporting the right businesses.
- Visit: http://www.theconsciousbuyer.com to support companies working to protect our precious planet.
- Do your research. There are many platforms such as B-Corp, Green America, Non-GMO, Cruelty-Free, Fair-Trade, Fair Wage, that companies are joining in support of sustainable business practices.
Action 2: Planet Protector
- All of Action 1
- Only support companies that are using the triple bottom line model.
- Support initiatives that create transparency in business such as Fair Trade and Fair Living Wage.
Action 3: Earth Angel
- All of Action 1 & 2
- Tell congress we need stronger regulations to promote ethical business practices.
- Share this information with your friends and family. The more people who shop with awareness of where their money is going, the more rapidly we can impact our people and the planet positively.
- Choose to be an Ambassador for Change, and always Spread Love and Spread Light.