Did you know that 96% of individuals who volunteer – believe that volunteering makes them happier? Happier people equate to a happier planet. One way to offset your carbon footprint is to increase your eco-footprint through volunteering. With numerous green volunteering opportunities available, sharing your time, skills and resources can contribute greatly to preserving our planet.
The Impact of Sharing your Time:
A 2015 census stated that 24.9% of people in the US volunteered; contributing almost 8 billion hours of service. Can you imagine what America would look like if we doubled that number? Communities working together for the betterment of the people, create unity and pride – resulting in a cleaner environment.
Volunteering for a Cause:
- More than two-thirds of volunteers between the ages of 18-24 see volunteering as a positive way to increase their career prospects and to help them reach the job of their dreams.
- Collecting, preparing, distributing, or serving food are the activities volunteers perform most often.
- The volunteer rate for men averages 21.8%, while women average 27.8%.
- Women (on average) believe that volunteering is more important than men think it is.
- Individuals between the ages of 35-44 are most likely to volunteer.
- In a study of 3,000 employers, 84% agreed that volunteering makes a candidate more appealing to them – making them more likely to offer a second interview.
How can I make an impact?
Tier 1: Global Goodness
- Look for a volunteer opportunity that stirs your passion. Do you love to work with children or the elderly? Maybe you are a conservationist and work well in nature? Whatever excites you – do that.
- Going for a walk? Use it as a time to volunteer for our planet by taking a trash bag to pick up litter along the way. Setting these examples in your community can inspire others to do the same.
Tier 2: Planet Protector
- All of Tier 1.
- Use discrepancy when finding the right organization to volunteer with. Do your research on the work they are doing, how it is helping the community – and how much of the resources go directly to the cause.
- Sign up to be a community leader or a member of a volunteer committee. The more involved you get – the more volunteering you will commit to.
Tier 3: Earth Angel
- All of Tiers 1 & 2.
- Don’t see an organization that aligns with your passion? Start your own!
- Encourage your friends and family to get involved in community volunteer work.
- Have children? Get them involved. Raising children to volunteer regularly in the community and abroad allows children to grow up understanding other lifestyles and backgrounds – and models healthy behavior.
- Choose to be an Ambassador for Change, and always Spread Love and Spread Light.