Did you know that 96% of individuals who volunteer – believe volunteering makes them happier? Happier people equate to a happier planet. One way to offset your carbon footprint – is to increase your eco-footprint through volunteering. With numerous green volunteering opportunities available, sharing your time, skills and resources can contribute greatly to preserving our planet.
The Impact of Sharing your Time:
A 2015 census stated that 24.9% of people in the US volunteered, contributing almost 8 billions hours of service. Can you imagine what America would look like if we doubled that number? Communities working together for the betterment of the people – creates unity and pride – resulting in a cleaner environment.
Volunteering for a Cause:
- More than two-thirds of volunteers between the ages of 18-24 see volunteering as a positive way to increase their career prospects and help them reach the job of their dreams.
- Collecting, preparing, distributing, or serving food was the activity volunteers performed most often.
- The volunteer rate for men averages 21.8%, and women average 27.8%.
- Women on average believe volunteering is more important than men.
- Individuals between the ages of 35-44 are most likely to volunteer.
- In a study on 3,000 employers, 84% agreed that volunteering makes a candidate more appealing to them – making them more likely to offer a second interview.
How can I make an impact:
Tier 1: Global Goodness
- Look for a volunteer opportunity that stirs your passion. Do you love to work with children or elderly people? Maybe you are a conservationist and work well in nature? Whatever excites you – do that.
- Going for a walk? Use it as a time to volunteer for our planet by taking a trash bag to pick up litter along the way. Setting these examples in your community can inspire others to do the same.
Tier 2: Planet Protector
- All of Tier 1
- Use discrepancy when finding the right organization to volunteer with. Do your research on the work they are doing, how it is helping the community and how much of the resources go directly to the cause.
- Sign up to be a community leader or a member of a volunteer committee. The more involved you get – the more volunteering you will commit to.
Tier 3: Earth Angel
- All of Tier 1 & 2
- Don’t see an organization that aligns with your passion? Start your own.
- Encourage your friends and family to get involved in community volunteer work.
- Have children? Get them involved. Raising children to volunteer regularly in the community and abroad allows children to grow up understanding other lifestyles and backgrounds – as well as models healthy behavior.