With a rapid increase in industrial agriculture, companies such as Monsanto/Bayer are changing the landscape of agriculture and destroying our planet. Monsanto/Bayer has spent millions of dollars lobbying for regulations that support their chemical and GMO seed initiatives. They have fought to prevent GMO labeling, and spent millions of dollars in false advertising to mislead consumers on the truth of Glyphosate, Agent Orange and GMO products.
Agent Orange, Glyphosate and GMOs:
Monsanto/Bayer is a chemical company that started in the early 1900s. Monsanto/Bayer manufactured Agent Orange, a highly toxic herbicide used by the US military during the Vietnam War to clear jungles and starve North Vietnamese soldiers. They also created the infamous weedkiller Roundup, that is currently under scrutiny for being linked to many chronic illnesses including cancer. There are currently 11,000 court cases against Monsanto from cancer patients. The active ingredient in Roundup is glyphosate. According to plant pathologist Don Huber, glyphosate changes soil ecology, making plants susceptible to diseases that could eventually cause diseases in humans. The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer classified glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic to humans”. Let’s look at the facts.
The Real Monsanto:
- Agent Orange contaminated over 3 million people, a half-million Vietnamese civilians died, a half-million Vietnamese babies were born with birth defects and thousands of U.S. military veterans are suffering or dying from its effects to this day.
- 62 countries, including Japan, China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand and the entire European Union, have either banned GMOs or have laws requiring mandatory labeling.
- The US is one of the only developed countries with no labeling laws.
- Monsanto provides roughly 90% of GMO seeds in the world
- More than 70% of processed foods in the US contain GMO ingredients.
- In 1996 Monsanto genetically engineered Roundup Ready to tolerate its Roundup herbicide. Roundup Ready soybeans, corn, cotton, and other crops have since dominated every market in which they’re sold.
- In April of 2013, President Obama signed the Monsanto Protection Act, which requires the USDA to approve genetically modified crops even if courts have ruled against them.
- The U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry issued its draft toxicological profile for glyphosate. The report confirms increased cancer risk from glyphosate exposures.
- In the past decade Monsanto/Bayer has spent over 120 million dollars lobbying congress.
How can I make an impact:
Action 1: Global Goodness
- Stop buying non-organic and genetically modified foods.
- Read the labels. If you are buying processed foods that contain non-organic wheat, corn, or soy, chances are you are eating the Monsanto/Bayers GMO seeds.
Action 2: Planet Protector
- All of Action 1
- Boycott companies that use Monsanto/Bayer seeds and products.
- Go to http://theboycottlist.org to see if companies you support are on the list.
- STOP using all chemical weed killers. There are many natural approaches to weed maintenance. Do your research to find what works in your area.
Action 3: Earth Angel
- All of Action 1 & 2
- Support grocers and restaurants that say No to GMOs.
- Tell Congress we don’t want Monsanto/Bayer in the US. Let your voice be heard.
- Spread Love. Spread Light.