#113 – Overcoming Limiting Beliefs
#113 Overcoming Limiting Beliefs
Did you know our brains can produce as many as 50,000 thoughts per day? Or that over 95% of these thoughts are repeated daily? Your daily thoughts become your beliefs, which become your mindset and create your reality. Our beliefs can limit our thinking, actions, and, ultimately, our lives. This is where limiting beliefs come in. Limiting beliefs can prevent us from growing, achieving our goals, or becoming the people we want to be. In the end, our beliefs become our reality.
The Power Of Beliefs
A limiting belief is a state of mind or idea that you think to be true that limits you in some way. They are stories backed up by our experiences and traumas and contextualized by our environment. Most limiting beliefs develop in our youth as we develop who we are and how we view the world. The origins of these beliefs vary for everyone but come from sources like how you were raised, what type of education you received, your culture, and the experiences you went through with the people around you as a child.
These beliefs become so ingrained in our minds that they can be difficult to discern, but it is possible to rewrite your limiting beliefs. It takes time to retrain the mind, but with perseverance and patience, we have the power to make it happen. The best way to identify your limiting beliefs is to assess yourself honestly. What are your default emotions and areas in your life where you feel stagnant? The key to overcoming limiting beliefs is self-awareness, reflection, and reformulation. If this process of self-assessment and restructuring needs support, other forms of assistance like meditation or therapy may be helpful. As Marianne Williamson so eloquently puts it: You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to manifest the glory of God within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously permit other people to do the same. Our presence automatically liberates others as we are liberated from our own fear. Always know that you are Loved, Safe, Worthy, Whole, and Complete just as you are. You possess the innate gifts that you are meant to share with humankind.
Ways To Recognize Limiting Beliefs:
- To identify beliefs that are limiting you, start by writing down your general beliefs and group them into different categories like finances, family, relationships, or health.
- Consider how your limiting beliefs have protected you in the past.
- Be honest with yourself. Is the belief or story we are telling ourselves and others actually true?
- Once you’ve reflected on the context and reasoning behind a limiting belief, ask yourself, “What if I’m wrong? What if it’s not true?” What does that mean and what your world would look like?
- Whatever your limited belief, look for evidence that contradicts it. Find qualities in yourself that prove your conviction wrong. Once you find these qualities or experiences utilize them as a reference point to cancel out your limiting beliefs.
- Change your behavior accordingly.
- Reinforce positive beliefs. This is a practice to repeat over and over until the new belief anchors in your consciousness. There are many studies that show it takes, on average, 66 days to create a new habit or belief.
Ways To Overcome!
Action 1: Global Goodness
- Having a well-organized environment can improve your mental health and encourage positive thinking.
- Explore More. When you give in to curiosity, you’re more likely to explore the world around you and break out of those limiting beliefs.
Action 2: Planet Protector
- All of Action 1
- If you’re struggling to change your limiting beliefs on your own, consider a therapist or counselor.
- Take a few minutes every day to meditate.
Action 3: Earth Angel
- All of Action 1 & 2
- Commit to your personal development. You must actively seek opportunities for development and growth to improve your beliefs.
- Positive affirmations are a great way to help improve the way you view yourself.
- Figure out which beliefs help you live the life you have always dreamed of.
No More Limits: What Are Limiting Beliefs & How Can You Overcome Them?