With the increase of technology and manufacturing since the industrial revolution, the levels of industrial pollution have increased substantially. As pollution is one of the most significant contributors to climate change, it is imperative we bring awareness to the environmental impacts caused by these industries.
A Polluted Industry:
Industrial pollution refers to any contamination caused by industrial activity. It is the most significant form of pollution on the planet. From soil contamination, to air and water pollution, many would say the industrial revolution has caused the most significant environmental devastation of our time. The ecosystems has been significantly impacted because of pollution, and the consequence will affect future generations to come. Here are some additional facts on industrial pollution.
Facts on Industrial Pollution:
- Americans account for 30% of all the world’s waste through industrial pollution.
- Almost 50% of all US lakes are affected by industrial pollution to the point where they are unsafe.
- 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated industrial waste is pumped directly back into the U.S. water supply every year.
- In many developing countries 70% of industrial waste is discharged without treatment.
- Over 1 billion people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water, partly because of industrial pollution.
- 14 billion pounds of industrial waste are dumped into the world’s oceans every year.
- Nitrogen pollution from farming fertilizers travels down the Mississippi every year to create a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico that is larger than the state of New Jersey.
How can I make an impact:
Action 1: Global Goodness
- Reducing overconsumption is one way you can make a huge impact on the reduction of industrial pollution.
- Reuse and repurpose. By donating, reusing or repurposing items, less items will need to be produced reducing the amount of pollution and greenhouse gases emitted.
Action 2: Planet Protector
- All of Action 1
- Reduce your consumption of environmentally polluting products. If you know certain products create high levels of pollution and waste stop purchasing it and find a more eco-friendly product.
- Support companies that are actively reducing their pollution rates and lessening their environmental impacts. There are numerous companies that are focused on preserving resources and the planet.
Action 3: Earth Angel
- All of Action 1 & 2
- Lobby Congress to implement stricter policies regarding industrial pollution. Further reduction in air, land and water pollution regulations is essential for the health of the planet.