With the increase of technology and manufacturing since the Industrial Revolution, the levels of industrial pollution have increased substantially. As pollution is one of the most significant contributors to climate change, it is imperative that we bring awareness to the very harmful environmental impacts caused by these industries.
A Polluted Industry:
Industrial pollution refers to any contamination caused by industrial activity. It is the most significant form of pollution on the planet. From soil contamination to air and water pollution, many would say that the industrial revolution has caused the most significant environmental devastation of our time. Our ecosystems have been significantly impacted because of pollution; and the consequences will affect future generations to come.
Facts on Industrial Pollution:
- Americans account for 30% of all the world’s waste through industrial pollution.
- Almost 50% of all US lakes are affected by industrial pollution, to the point where they are unsafe.
- 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated industrial waste is pumped directly back into the U.S. water supply every year.
- In many developing countries, 70% of industrial waste is discharged without treatment.
- Over 1 billion people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water; partly because of industrial pollution.
- 14 billion pounds of industrial waste are dumped into the world’s oceans every year.
- Nitrogen pollution from farming fertilizers travels down the Mississippi River every year; to create a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico that is larger than the state of New Jersey.
How can I make an impact?
Action 1: Global Goodness
- Reducing overconsumption is one way that you can make a huge impact on the reduction of industrial pollution.
- Reuse and repurpose. By donating, reusing or repurposing items, fewer products will need to be produced – reducing the amount of pollution and greenhouse gases emitted.
Action 2: Planet Protector
- All of Action 1.
- Reduce your consumption of environmentally polluting products. If you know that certain products create high levels of pollution and waste – stop purchasing them and look for eco-friendly substitutes.
- Support companies that are actively reducing their pollution rates and lessening their impact on the environment. There are numerous companies that are focused on preserving our resources and the planet.
- Go to: www.theconsciousbuyer.com to explore over 500 amazing companies that are working to preserve our precious planet.
Action 3: Earth Angel
- All of Actions 1 & 2.
- Lobby Congress to implement increased regulations regarding industrial pollution. Further restrictions in air, land and water pollution regulations are essential for the health of our planet.
- Choose to be an Ambassador for Change, and always Spread Love and Spread Light.