Did you know that some of the oldest living things on this planet are trees? Or, that one average sized tree can provide enough oxygen for a family of four for one entire year? Trees are not only beautiful to look at, they are necessary components of our fragile ecosystem.
One tree, two tree, three tree, four:
One of the oldest living trees is said to be over 80,000 years old. Yes 80,000 years old! Trees are the lungs of our planet – by breathing in toxic CO2 and breathing out precious life giving oxygen – they sustain much of life. Trees are not only used for oxygen – they are also used for thousands of products; its wood is used in, paper products, building homes, as well as provides shelter and food for wildlife such as birds, squirrels, and numerous other animals.
Facts on Trees:
- By planting 20 million trees, the earth and its people would receive 260 million more tons of oxygen – and would remove 10 million tons of CO2 from our atmosphere.
- Annually, an acre of trees absorbs the amount of carbon dioxide equal to driving your car 26,000 miles.
- Trees absorb pollutant gases such as nitrogen oxides, ozone, ammonia and sulfur dioxide.
- Trees cool cities by up to 10 degrees Fahrenheit – by providing shade and releasing water.
- Trees reduce urban runoff and erosion by storing water and breaking the force of rain as it falls. The USDA reports that 100 mature trees can reduce runoff caused by rainfall by up to 100,000 gallons.
- U.S. Forest Service scientists and collaborators calculated that trees are saving more than 850 human lives a year and preventing over 670,000 incidences of acute respiratory symptoms.
- Trees need about 15 water gallons a week to survive.
- Three trees planted in the right place around buildings can cut air-conditioning costs by up to 50%.
How can I make an impact:
Tier 1: Global Goodness
- Recycle all paper products.
- Cultivate a new appreciation for trees. Research life amazing life of trees. By increasing your awareness on their role – you can better care for them.
- Plant a tree. Want to make direct change? Grab some seedlings and get to work.
Tier 2: Planet Protector
- All of Tier 1
- Don’t support animal agriculture that is clearing trees and rainforests to graze animals.
- Encourage people to live in alignment with nature.
- Volunteer to plant trees. Research non-profits in your local community that are planting trees.
Tier 3: Earth Angel
- All of Tier 1 & 2
- Can’t plant a tree? Donate to have one planted for you. Visit https://plantwithpurpose.org or onetreeplanted.org to donate to these amazing organizations working to rebuild our forests.
- Want to help rebuild the rainforest? Go to edenprojects.org to do your part in saving the rainforest. .