The SEED (Susty Energy EDucation) Project is an energy and stress management program that educates and empowers youth in making conscious choices that are healthy for both them and the planet. The program teaches children about the impact of their daily choices with a focus on nutrition, exercise, ecological awareness, and stress management. This is an experiential, hands-on learning approach with food samples and written activities.
We offer the SEED Project for free to schools in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties. The program is available in two formats – the Plant the SEED Program and the SEEDling Program. Plant the SEED is a one hour session and the SEEDling Program is a series of six one hour sessions. Each program can be implemented for the whole school or for a specific grade. Due to the experiential nature of the program it is best suited to be taught one class at a time. Our program is specifically designed to engage and involve the students. We lead each session, provide all of the materials, and cover all program costs. All sessions include short bursts of physical activity & exercises, one nutrition activity, and three stress management techniques.
If you live outside of South Florida and are interested in presenting the SEED Program to your students please register below for free access to our materials, including teacher’s notes, handouts, and feedback forms. We will be adding tutorial videos as they become available.
Plant the SEED Program
(a one hour session)
This is an introduction to the Four Pillars of Health and the foundation of the SEED Project, creating healthy habits. The Green Smoothie is used for the nutrition activity and the children are led through a series of conversations and hands-on demonstrations including how much sugar is really in a soda, short bursts of physical activity with sports and food themes, and stress management and mindfulness through yoga and contemplation.
(a series of six (1) hour sessions)
This program builds on the concepts of personal choice and healthy habits introduced in Plant the SEED. The program starts off with an introduction to healthy habits and the impact of our choices and progresses through a variety of topics such as the importance of reading food labels, the difference between excited and calm energy and how to generate both for ourselves, and the fun of making our own healthy snacks.
Sponsor a SEED Project!
With just a $1,000 donation to Heal the Planet you could sponsor an entire 6 week SEED Project at a local school. Our parent surveys reveal an 80% effective rate in children’s eating habits trying new vegetables and fruits. Your small donation will create a huge impact in the health and well-being of our youth. Just click the Donate button below and specify ‘SEED Project’ in the note of the donation.
Not in the South Florida area?
• The power of personal choice and the impact it has on the planet.
• Love is an essential ingredient for healthy humans and a healthy world.
• How to be a label detective and to decode ingredients.
• Learn how much sugar is in your drink with our “Think Before You Drink” Demo.
• The value of hydration and sleep for sustainable energy.
• The nutrient benefits of Vitamins A-K, and fruits & veggies.
• How to make delicious and nutritious food that saves electricity and water.
• Experience food through the five senses by tasting, touching, smelling, and playing with our food.
• Create your own healthy snack/meal (recipes include Green Smoothies, Quinoa-Avocado Salad, Zucchini Pasta, Meatless Taco Lettuce Wraps, Date Seed Energy Balls, and Dairy-free Ice Cream/Natural Sorbet Sweet Treats)
• Learn how to use the 3 Types of Sustainable Energy: Energy In (Nutritious Foods), Energy Out (Short Bursts of Physical Activity), and Energy Focused (Yoga Poses, Breathing Techniques, & Gratitude Reflections)
• How eating healthy, exercising, and practicing mindful breathing techniques can improve your life.
• How to become confident through empowerment music and gratitude lists with music by E The Savant (www.ETheSavant.com) “You Need to Believe” & “They All Help Your Body”
• Learn how movement through short bursts of physical activity can give you sustainable energy all day.
• How to exercise in the classroom without using any equipment, and increase your success/performance.
Below are 4 books that we use to help highlight the concept of making healthy food choices, the 4 Pillars of Health (Nutrition, Exercise, Water, and Sleep), and Stress Management Techniques.
My Body by Andrea Pinnington and Penny Lamprell
Eating the Alphabet-Fruits and Vegetables from A-Z by Lois Ehlers
A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles by Thich Nhat Hanh
Mindful Movements by Thich Nhat Hanh